Ingredients (Makes 12)
For the crust
400g of ground almonds
6 tablespoons of coconut oil
4 tablespoons of water
20 Medjool dates (400g)
(sprinkling of flour to stop mixture sticking to surface)
For the mince
2 apples (200g)
1 vanilla pod
100g dried cranberries
the juice of 2 oranges
1 tablespoon of coconut oil
1 teaspoon of cinnamon
1 teaspoon of ginger
Extra coconut oil for greasing the muffin tin.
1. To make the mince: Chop the apples into small pieces (discarding the core) and place them into a saucepan.
2. Slice the vanilla pod in half and scrape the seeds into the pan. Then add in all the remaining mince ingredients and stir it together.
3. Let the mince simmer for about 30 minutes, until the apples are nice and soft
4. Meanwhile Pre heat the oven to 180C. While the mince cooks make the crust. Place all the crust ingredients together in a food processor and blend until everything has mixed together and the dates are totally broken down (approx. a minute). Then sprinkle flour over a surface and roll the mix out so that it’s about half a cm thick
5. Grease muffin tins with coconut oil and then mould the mix into the individual tins, once you’ve done this cut the remaining mixture into shapes (stars/christmas trees/hearts/circles), these will go on top of the pies. Add to a baking tray.
6. Place the tray of shapes in the oven for 8 minutes, until they start to turn golden brown – at which point take them out and allow them to cool while the mince mix finishes cooking
7. Once the mince has cooked start assembling the pies. Add two heaped teaspoons of mince into each pie before placing a ‘shape’ over the middle of the mince. Bake the pies again for 8 minutes
8. Once they’ve baked leave for twenty minutes to cool before enjoying!