I love Sunday’s; comfy clothes, chilling out and mostly importantly a delicious roast! One of my favourite things about a roast is that is doesn’t have to be unhealthy. Instead of piling up the plate, try some of my delicious ideas below (including healthy Yorkshire Puddings!) and let me know what you think – I am looking forward to Sunday already!
This is obviously the best part about a roast right?! And the perfect source of Sunday protein!
– 5lb turkey or Chicken
– Tbsp Coconut oil
– Handful sage
– Handful thyme
– Pinch salt and pepper
– 2 onions
1. Rub turkey with coconut oil inside and out
2. Cut onions into quaters and add half onions and herbs inside the bird and break up the rest around the outside of the bird.
3. Rub in salt and pepper
4. Tip! Add a little water in bottom of dish. This will steam the bird as well as Cook to make it more succulent. It also helps make gravy.
5. Add preheated oven 180 degrees and cook for 1 1/2 hours
6. Once cooked transfer to a platter and cover with foil and leave to rest for 10 mins while you make gravy.
7. To make gravy- with a spoon scrape around the bird dish and mix together all the juices onion and herbs. Add a organic chicken stock cube and a splash of water.
8. In a separate glass mix together a teaspoon of corn flour or plain flour with a splash of water to make a paste and add to the dish. Gently bring to boil stirring until it becomes thicker.
9. Carve the bird and serve with gravy.
Clean Eating Roasted Rosemary Root Vegetables
Ingredients (serves 2)
– 1 turnip, cut into bite-sized wedges
– 1 parsnip, cut into bite-sized pieces
– 1 carrot, cut into bite-sized pieces
– Or any other root vegetables you would like to use
– 2 tbsp virgin olive oil
– 1tbsp fresh rosemary
– 1tsp garlic powder
– Dash fresh ground black pepper
1. Preheat oven to 190C.
2. Place all ingredients in a large plastic sandwich bag and shake well to coat the vegetables.
3. Pour out onto a baking pan and bake for 50-60 minutes, or until the vegetables are tender.
Super Sweet Roast Potatoes
– 4 peeled uncooked sweet potatoes
– 3 tablespoons of coconut oil
– 1tablespoon salt
– 1teaspoon rosemary (optional)
1. Cut peeled potatoes into ‘roast shapes’
2. Place potatoes in a deep baking tray and roll in oil and seasonings.
3. Try and keep potatoes in a single layer so they can crisp up on the outside
4. Bake at 200C for 45 minutes, turning potatoes with spatula every 15 minutes.
Clean Yorkshire Puddings (YES YOU HEARD THAT RIGHT!)
– 100 grams Whole Spelt Flour or Wholemeal Flour
– 2 Eggs
– 150 ml Milk or Almond Milk
– 1 pinch Fine Sea Salt
1. Preheat the oven to 220*C and place 1/4 teaspoon of coconut oil into each bottom of a muffin tin baking tray.
2. Once the oven is hot, place the muffin tray into the oven to heat the oil for 5 minutes until it gets really hot
3. Whilst the oil is heating up, whisk the eggs into the flour and then add a pinch of salt
4. Once you have down this, slowly add in the milk and whisk until all the lumps have gone
5. Once the oil is hot, remove the tray from the oven and fill each hole to about a quarter full with the batter (be careful not to add more as they will rise!)
6. Place the tray back into the oven and cook for 10 minutes your Yorkshires are golden brown