I think one of the hardest things about cooking fresh foods is often knowing what sauces you can use to make your life that little bit easier. Often, ready-made sauces can be packed full of sugar and salt so I wanted to share with you some of my favourite, healthy condiment alternatives that you can make at home.
PARMESAN FREE PESTO
1 ripe avocado, sliced
5 tbsp olive oil
1 handful of fresh basil leaves, chopped
1 handful spinach, chopped
1 handful pine nuts
1-2 garlic cloves (adjust to your taste)
Juice of 1 lemon
Pinch sea salt
1. Add all ingredients in a food processor & blend until smooth.
2. Perfect with wholegrain pasta or courgette
GREEN PEA GUACAMOLE
(makes 8 servings – perfect for sharing or freeze in serving sized amounts)
1 cup of defrosted green peas, drained
1 avocado, diced
Juice of 1 lime or lemon
2 tbsp red onion, minced or very thinly chopped
1 tsp red chilli, minced or very thinly chopped
1 tomato, chopped
75g coriander, chopped
Himalayan crystal salt and ground black pepper to taste.
1. In a food processor, pulse the peas until smooth. Spoon them into a mixing bowl.
2. Add the rest of the ingredients – mixing together carefully (it can get messy!).
3. Serve with vegetable sticks as a snack or an added garnish